Mail non-delivery notice Do I have a virus?

Onthemove 22:37 15 Oct 03

I keep getting non delivery notifications for email messages I have not sent. The mail does not appear in my sent mail box.

I have been told that I must have a mail relay virus. However, when I run my anti virus software I come out cleen.

I have windows XP and my mail client is Outlook 2000.

Any suggestions?

VoG II 22:43 15 Oct 03

One of your contacts has a virus.

Just keep deleting the messages.

Forum Editor 22:56 15 Oct 03

could have a virus that's sending these messages. Modern computer viruses routinely fake sender's details, and even bounced messages.

Alternatively (and slightly less likely) your email address may have been 'spoofed'. This is where emails appear to come from you, and they are bounced back to you when they fail to be delivered (or when someone uses anti-spam software to bounce suspect messages).

There's not a lot you can do, apart from contacting anyone who may have your address in their contact book and asking them to run a virus check.

If you do that, be sure to word your message dilomatically, many people are irritated by the suggestion that they may inadvertantly be sending such junk out.

Gaz 25 04:05 16 Oct 03

Yes. You or some one that has you in your contacts is infected, or an e-mail spoof has taken place.

Jester2K II 08:14 16 Oct 03
  Onthemove 10:19 16 Oct 03

Thanks for the information and advice.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…