Mail Merge - Word v Access v Excel

navvyman 16:26 29 Nov 05

I have the data stored as a Word table, An Access table and an Excel sheet. The merge works perfectly except that using Excel as the source the Mail Merge Recipients box does not show all the fields. If I add new field as the rightmost column it does not appear in the dialog box. If I rearrange the columns it does. I am mystified

Does anyone have any clues as to why Word should see the 3 datafiles differently

Running Win XP Pro and Office XP

Taff™ 09:41 30 Nov 05

It`s to do with the way Word exchanges the data with the different applications. See click here for an explanation of why, for example, dates don`t convert in the same format from Excel. If you read down and "confirm the file conversion" in Word you will get alternative methods of data exchange.

In your case, when you link to the file initially via Word it looks at the range of columns say from A-P and these are the limits. Add a column Q and it is outside the initial range, move it before column P and it is within the range because it already has a link to column P. The short answer is to add the additional columns, save the file and close it. Close word and open it again and it should then recognise the new column immediately.

navvyman 13:30 30 Nov 05

Many thanks Taff - concise and coherent and now all works a treat.

Converting files like billy-o!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…