Mail merge document

Lillylou 12:13 08 Oct 03

This morning when I tried to access a mail merge document the follwing came up
Invoices is a mail merge document. Word cannot find its data source.
C:\...My data Sources\Customers.mdb.

What does this mean even when I tried to run my back up copy the same message appeared. In the end I had to reinstall all the addresses. Is there any why I can print these out or save them on a disc in case this happens again.

Sir Radfordin 12:25 08 Oct 03

It looks like the ODBC connection between the database and the word file had been lost. In some cases these can be setup as system variabls in other cases they may be document specific.

If you had gone to the mail merge helper you may have been able to re-set your datasource.

I think the message is basically saying "can't read/find the database" so can't merge anything.

Taff36 13:09 08 Oct 03

It sounds like the file Customers.mdb has been moved from it`s original location. As Sir Radfordin says you simply need to tell the merge document where it is now to re-establish the link. Which version of Word are you using? It`s slightly more complicated in certain versions.

Lillylou 13:19 08 Oct 03

I haven't got a clue what version of Word I have my pc is WINXP and were do I find the mail merge helper. I have now retyped all the addresses back in using my written copies.

Taff36 13:30 08 Oct 03

In Word on the menu bar go to HELP > About Microsoft Word and a dialog box will appear with your version in it. Make a note of the full version including any SP`s.

When you say you`ve had to type all the addresses back in - back in to what? Another Access database to mail merge from? (What a pain that must have been. Wish you`d posted sooner!)

Sir Radfordin 13:37 08 Oct 03

From the Tools menu you should be able to find something called Mail Merge helper/wizard (depend on word version).

Was it not you who originally set the mail merge up?

Sometimes its easiest in these cases just to recreate your mail merge document from scratch.

Mobility 11:49 02 Feb 04

When mailmerging in Word using an Excel datebase, I find that all the dates are not formatted correctly. this occurs regardless of the format in Excel. All dates apear in Word in the U.S. format eg 3/21/2004 any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…