Mail Delivery System

Molly_Don 02:00 04 Jul 09

On my Yahoo email account I keep receiving loads and loads of messages some entitled "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" and some entilted "Delivery failure"

I suspect these are spam messages but how come there going out from my a/c?

Has my yahoo email a/c been hijacked?

mgmcc 08:17 04 Jul 09

Most likely explanation is that someone who has your email address in their address book has picked up a virus.

Addresses (including yours) from that PC are now being used in the "From:" field of junk/spam/virus emails being sent out and any that bounce, or cannot be delivered, will come back to you as the address in the "From:" field.

Molly_Don 16:02 04 Jul 09

cheers gmcc, thing is i don't have any contacts at all added or anyone in my address book.

Sea Urchin 16:49 04 Jul 09

You don't need to - your address is being used to send mail to addresses in other people's address books/contact lists.

mgmcc 16:53 04 Jul 09

>>> thing is i don't have any contacts at all added or anyone in my address book.

It isn't *YOUR* address book that's been hijacked, it's *SOMEONE ELSE'S* which has your email address in it.

wiz-king 16:54 04 Jul 09

What mgmcc said is that someone who has your email address in their address book might have picked up a virus/trojan.
It might also be that your computer has been hijacked, run a deep scan on your anti-virus and run Asquared click here or malwarebytes click here and see if they find anythin on your computer.

Molly_Don 20:36 04 Jul 09

Right OK thanks for the help, sorry i didn't undertsandd mgmcc before, so, there's nothing coming up on those scans will this just keep happening?

mgmcc 08:03 05 Jul 09

The problem usually goes away after a week or so although, in extreme cases, it has been known to last for a considerable time with an unmanageable quantity of bounced messages being received. It then becomes necessary to consider changing email address.

You could also use Mailwasher click here to set up a filter that deletes the problem messages without you ever seeing them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…