Mail Delivery Service Puzzle

Border View 12:30 22 Nov 03

Over the last few days whenever I open Outlook Express I am receiving an e-mail from Mail Delivery Service – Subject : Delivery Status Notification. Content of e-mail reads – These recipients of your message have been processed by the mail server ……it then shows my e-mail address….. Failed: 5.7.1 (delivery not authorised, message refused)

In addition OE removed access to the following unsafe attachment: ATT00007.dat Think abo.ut how much a new m.ortgage will save y

This e-mail has come through about five or six times. I delete it straight away and wouldn’t dream of trying to open the attachment.

I have a rule set up in Outlook Express where any e-mails not specifically addressed to me are deleted at the Server. Also use Tiscalli Secure Mail. Spam has reduced to a trickle since introducing these.

I just don’t understand the e-mail from Mail Delivery Service. It may well be totally obvious to someone else – can you please enlighten me.

Border View 12:32 22 Nov 03

Sorry about the little boxes. Don't know where they have come from. I typed out my query in word and then pasted it. One of those days.

Border View 13:22 22 Nov 03

Refresh

Stuartli 17:55 22 Nov 03

An e-mail is usually, but not always, returned because the recipient's e-mail address is not typed correctly or now has a new e-mail address.

Pesala 17:57 22 Nov 03

I get loads of these too. If it is about 144K it is similar to the one that I get regularly. It usually accompanied by a Microsoft Update spoof email with the Swen Worm.A virus. I don't know how to stop it coming either.

The square boxes are a problem on this forum, which doesn't recognise smart quotes from Word. Turn off autocorrect is the only solution if you must use Word. Otherwise try Wordpad.

Stuartli 18:00 22 Nov 03

As a Tiscali user, I am disgusted that the ISP charges for stopping spam e-mails that it delivers itself.

It's a service it should supply gratis and I've no intention of paying for this particular rip off.

Even more annoying is that I once had an e-mail from Tiscali offering to sell me e-mail addresses for so much per thousand.

I have only ever had one spam e-mail from Pipex, in this case with whom I have been since 1996, and a quick message to its support division soon stopped even that potential new source.

Border View 10:00 23 Nov 03

I think someone is using my e-mail address to send messages. Is this possible?

Border View 10:03 23 Nov 03

The e-mail address in the notification is my own and it is correct. It looks as though someone, using my e-mail address, is sending e-mails and for some reason sent one to itself and has been refused. Or am I reading the situation wrong?

This is driving me nuts. Think I shall e-mail Tiscalli.

Stuartli 10:26 23 Nov 03

I've have had trouble in recent months with Tiscali's e-mail service.

Sometimes e-mails to my son take up to eight or nine days to arrive or don't arrive at all.

He did a check and discovered it was the fault of Tiscali.

Border View 10:29 23 Nov 03

I've sent off an e-mail to Tiscalli about this problem. Will post their response when received.

A_World_Maker 10:30 23 Nov 03

A bit off subject, but I run several 'hotmail' accounts, one being the main reciepient of most of my email, I set filters to catch the worst spam, then its redirected to another provider for more filtering, and so on.. by the time my static account gets my mail, most of the spam has been well and truly filtered out. Not all 'hotmail accounts allow forwarding' but once set up, it works well and is free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…