Magical Jelly Bean

onthelimit1 21:00 PM 29 Jul 12
Answered

I've seen this free prog recommended, so thought I'd try it before needing it for real. On my nearly new W7 machine, the number it gives is very different from the one on the COA sticker. Any comments please?

rdave13 21:10 PM 29 Jul 12

It's rubbish. You used to be able to use it to re-name the main user's name and find the OEM and Retail key. Back in the pre XP SP2 era. Surprised your AV hasn't kicked up a fuss about it.

birdface 21:25 PM 29 Jul 12

Just checked Speccy and that gives the proper keycode.

robin_x 21:33 PM 29 Jul 12

Scroll down the first few Q&As here

Make a note of your COA number and/or put Scotch tape over it. Incase of scratching or wear.

(Speccy does not report correct COA on my laptop)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:58 PM 29 Jul 12

Had same problem with my Medion

Numbers did not match and WGA pronounced it as a pirate.

This was due to the company installing imaged hard drives. The system number will be the same as a batched image of the OS.

Don't worry about it as it won't be a problem if windows is allowing updates you will only nee the COA number if you are reinstalling from the DVD

rdave13 21:59 PM 29 Jul 12

You will not be able to get the key to any pre-installed Windows (OEM) with any key finder today. With Retail then yes. Even Belarc or SIW will show a retail key.

rdave13 22:01 PM 29 Jul 12

Lotvic has the answers.

onthelimit1 22:13 PM 29 Jul 12

OK, thanks all (unless lotvic wishes to enlighten us more?).

lotvic 22:30 PM 29 Jul 12

If your W7 was pre-activated at factory then you have the manufacturers OEM SLP product key. That is different to the product key on sticker on the side of your pc.

lotvic 22:37 PM 29 Jul 12

How did you all manage to read my post before I posted it? I thank you for the vote of confidence but I don't have the answers, only little bits.

rdave13 22:47 PM 29 Jul 12

lotvic , you explain it better than I can. Jelly Bean only picks up the multi- product key (SLP I believe) but without the manufacturers Bios program to tie it in then it is useless. The OEM sticker on the case is the only one to use if using an OEM disk to do a fresh install.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification: OP2 confirmed in VR product launch - full OnePlus…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Motoman robots: from killing The Terminator to samurai swordmanship

Why Apple's being criticised for everything, even the good things