macrium reflect questions please

sunnystaines 20:04 14 Nov 14

if the c drive is say 100gb in size but on 30gb used. To make an image or clone can i do it on either to say 30gb or similar or do they both have to be 100gb in size on the external drive?

for w8.1 with macruim whats the best way to make their boot disk getting lost navigating their webs.

robintheumpteenth 20:20 14 Nov 14

Images are files. You can save them anywhere except the original partitions they were made from.

In Macrium, Click 'Image selected discs on this computer' (top left).

Check/Uncheck the partitions you want in the Image file.

Uncheck the external drive.

Browse to the external drive.

Don't let Macrium choose a filename, choose your own sensible one.

eg MacriumCleanC_D-only.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:28 14 Nov 14
  sunnystaines 20:28 14 Nov 14

robin ......just stuck on the question on size of the image partion as mention above, apparently downloading the windows pe5 for a bootable disk for w8.1 is from within the program menu.

robintheumpteenth 20:37 14 Nov 14

Bootable disk- Click Other Tasks, Create...

I don't know what you are stuck on.

As long as you have enough free space on your external disk (partition), the Image file will just be one file in it.

Your Image file will be 30GB approx. at Normal settings.

You can change the Compression level in Advanced settings when you make the Image.

Batch 08:55 15 Nov 14

Macrium Reflect (like many imaging programs) compresses the information, by default, when it creates the image. So on my Win7 PCs the image file is just over half the size of occupied space on the partition. (e.g. on my desktop PC my C: partition size is 60GB, occupied space is 12.24GB, image is 6.15GB.

Of course it depends on what you've got on the partition as to how good the compression is. If you've got lots of files that are already compressed formats (e.g. JPEGs) then Macrium Reflect will not be able to compress these (much).

You can turn off the compression if you want. In theory it's a trade off between disk space used for the image created vs time to create the image, but not worth concerning yourself with IMHO.

You can image individual partitions, where as cloning [typically?] refers to copying a whole physical disk.

As a clone is a direct copy it is, ostensibly, the same size as the original. E.g. a 60GB disk will be 60GB when cloned. I've never tried cloning with Macrium Reflect (so don't know what options it gives you), but Acronis True Image (V8) would allow one to adjust the partition sizes during cloning with the (obvious) restriction that partition sizes cannot be reduced below their occupied space.

Also, you can't clone a disk from within Windows that contains the active system partition (e.g. C:) - you would need to boot from CD/DVD or from system partition on another physical drive. Whereas you can image (but not restore) the active system partition from within Windows.

BTW, in case you don't know, you can mount imaged partitions (from within Macrium Reflect) so that you can then browse and read (but definitely not write to) the contents.

sunnystaines 12:50 15 Nov 14

batch some good info there that I was looking for thank you

Batch 15:48 15 Nov 14

Glad to be of assistance.

One possible clarification - as I said I've never cloned with Macrium Reflect and looking at the online help for my version I can't see any mention of not being able to clone (from within Windows) the disk that contains the active system partition, so maybe you can with Macrium Reflect (you certainly couldn't with ATI V8). Maybe Macrium Reflect is able to secure the partition / disk successfully to enable the cloning to happen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017