M S Word - Winword illegal operation

Greengage 15:51 05 Aug 05

Running Win98Se, H/D 80gb, Memory 512mb, Athlon 2500

Tried to open MS Word yesterday but it threw out the message "...performed an illegal operation and will be shut down...Winword caused an invalid page fault in module MSO9.DLL at 017f:308cfaf8" and mentions subsequent registers. I have replaced MSO9.DLL, run scanreg /restore and also SFC but the problem remained. Run the repair program from the disc but no joy; have since uninstalled and re-installed the program from both Office 2000 and Works 2000 and whilst the program seems to install, I still get the same message up when attempting to open up Word. Along the way I have cleaned the registry(several times), run Adaware, SpyBot, Stinger and full AVG check. No viruses reported. Tried renaming normal.dot etc and also run Windows Installer Cleanup Utility(as recommended by VOG to someone last year also experiencing similar problem) but problem still remains. I have visited MS site and researched this Forum but none of the suggestions has cured the problem.
All the other program in Office 2000 run OK. With Works 2000, when I was uninstalling the programs early on before re-installing, MS Money would not uninstall. After that, nor would it open and when I tried to re-install I got the message "setup cannot run while "options" is running-please save your work and close this program before continuing with setup". The program was not running and as I was unable to uninstall or re-install through the software itself, I then tried a separate uninstall program but this kept coming up with the same message. I then carried out an enforced removal of MS Money and cleared the registry but that program will still not now install.

Sorry to go on for so long but I am now at the giving up stage having worked on this problem last night and all day today without success. I am without Word & Money! Can someone please try and come to my rescue?

Klof Ron 15:57 05 Aug 05

Anwers to some very similclick here problems

VoG II 15:58 05 Aug 05

click here might be worth a try .

Klof Ron 15:59 05 Aug 05

click here sorry

Greengage 16:55 05 Aug 05

Many thanks for your responses. Have tried your suggestion VoG™ but still get the same error message. I have been through the pages as suggested by Klof Ron and tried one or two of the possibles for a solution, but still no joy. Have tried renaming Normal.dot again just in case this made a difference, but no.

HondaMan 16:58 05 Aug 05

Try renaming "normal.dot" file to something else. Word will create a new one when it next starts.

HondaMan 16:59 05 Aug 05

Overlapped with previous

VoG II 17:05 05 Aug 05

Try starting Word with the /a switch or some of the other suggestions click here

Klof Ron 17:06 05 Aug 05

I had a similar problem many moons ago, that was resolved by adding the MS Word for Works add in that is not installed by default in a Works installation, but resides on the installation CD. I'm quoting from memory here as I don'y use Works anymore, but might be worth a try.

VoG II 17:06 05 Aug 05

Sorry click here

Greengage 17:38 05 Aug 05

Thanks again. Have tried the /a switch following the instructions from the MS site and also uninstalled and re-installed the Word for Works Add-in previously but this had no effect. Still the same message.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…