M$ critical update,XP and firewall warning

igk 13:57 15 Jan 04

Hi All, A critical update has been posted at M$ update site KB832483,If you are using xp/xp pro check your firewall after updating (the one that comes with xp)as it "May" turn it on as it did with my system and you could have conflicts if you use a "decent" firewall like zone alarm.

Big Elf 14:07 15 Jan 04

I installed the update yesterday and I also use Zone Alarm but I haven't noticed any problems yet. Let me know what it turned on so I can check please?

igk 14:22 15 Jan 04

Hi Big Elf, It turned on the firewall that comes with xp,I never have it on as it is pretty useless and can cause problems if you use other firewall programmes.Do a properties on your internet connection it will tell you there if the firewall is on.

LeadingMNMs 14:22 15 Jan 04

I think that Microsoft are planning on turning all firewalls on to improve security. By going into the properties of your internet connection you can go to the tab that is furthest most right, and turn the firewall on or off.

Big Elf 14:47 15 Jan 04

That's interesting. Mine wasn't turned on so I've checked in Add/Remove Programs and the update isn't listed there, I haven't done a System Restore either. Signing off now to re-apply it.

Big Elf 14:52 15 Jan 04

Curiouser and curiouser. I've just re-applied the patch. Firewall not switched on and it's still not listed in add/remove programs.

I'll download it again and see what happens.

leo49 14:57 15 Jan 04

It won't be listed in Add/Remove as it states quite clearly "Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed."

Big Elf 14:57 15 Jan 04

I've just been to the update site and done the scan. It doesn't tell me that this critical update is required so it seems to register as installed. Could someone let me know please whether:

1. You had to reboot after applying the patch (mine didn't) and

2. Whether the update shows up in Add/Remove Programs.

Big Elf 14:59 15 Jan 04

Thanks, that's one question out of the way.

leo49 15:02 15 Jan 04

It also says you only MAY have to reboot.

If you want to check whether it's installed itself,run Aida and check the list of Windows updates.

Big Elf 15:05 15 Jan 04

I'll try that thanks. I'm wondering if it's because I've set the ICF Service to Manual rather than Automatic?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…