"Lumpy" sound

James-286079 15:18 28 Nov 04

On my laptop, when I play music and other sounds, it comes out lumpy. This is more noticable when the computer is busy doing something.
Computer details are below...
Any ideas?

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo K7600
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Mobile (with Power Now)
Realtek AC97 onboard sound
Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 1)
Windows Media Player 10

Forum Editor 15:37 28 Nov 04

inside the computer when you play music files and work with applications at the same time, and some components don't handle the data streams as well as others. Your CPU has to keep everything going at once, and if it runs short on RAM it will try to shuffle data onto the section of your hard drive that's reserved for virtual memory. This will result in bottlenecks, and when music is involved you'll hear the familiar stuttering as the system tries to cope with the data streaming from the CD player or MP3 file.

Increasing the RAM might help, but you might just have to accept that you can't always do several things at the same time, especially when one of them is playing music.

James-286079 15:49 28 Nov 04

It used to be fine and I think that this is unlikely as it is a brand new installation of Windows.
If I remember correctly, it did it last time I installed Windows but magically got better by itself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…