Luckiest laptop user alive?

Survey Surfer 11:48 16 Jul 04

I have a AJP 3Ghz laptop - just less than a year old - and I never get blue screens!!!
So what am I complaining about???
If I use a CPU intensive app, such as a codec or a zip (?), the computer switches itself of, completely. This usually seems to happen when it gets hot.

Would it be worth reformatting to try and solve this problem?

stlucia 12:29 16 Jul 04

Less than a year old? Still in warranty? Send it back -- a cooling fan may be not working correctly, and it then shuts itself down to protect itself.

vinnyT 12:30 16 Jul 04

Don't have a laptop, so not entirely sure if am able to help. Does this happen when using the lt plugged into the mains, or only when running off the internal battery? 3Ghz should be ample for multi-tasking, but maybe something is running in the background and using too much of the cpus' resources.

matt1234 12:37 16 Jul 04

it sounds like the laptop maybe overheating. on the back of my laptop is 2 vents i dont know about yours but check all vents are circulating air round the machine!

if not a fan may of gone send it back to get fixed

anchor 16:05 16 Jul 04

I had a similar problem with my Toshiba about 2 years ago; it went back and had the motherboard changed, (or whatever they call it in a laptop). Overheating was the cause they said.

Later, I saw an updated bios on the Toshiba site that claimed to correct this problem.

TomJerry 16:08 16 Jul 04

Intel processors have self-protecting function, so they are shut down machine if overheating. It is actually a good thing.

Survey Surfer 10:54 17 Jul 04

Thanks for the responses.

I tried to reformat but it crashed and cuts out immedialtely on restart, so I am sending it back to it makers.
But what do I do with myself for the next whatever days?
Maybe this is another post!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…