"<! DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC --------"

Lemur 00:00 09 Jan 07

" ! DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC --------" and a lot more jibberish keeps printing throughout my emails (Outlook Express/XP Home)(does not appear on screen). This sort of jibberish DOES however appear on screen when I go into "Help" in OE. What have I done to achieve this unwanted detail please?

Greengage 09:43 09 Jan 07

I Googled it click here+ but don't understand a word!

Lemur 09:50 10 Jan 07

Many thanks Greengage for your feedback. I quite agree with you that the Google contributions seem also to be jibberish!!

Any other contributions to what must surely be a straight forward solution to this problem, very welcome, please.

audeal 13:52 10 Jan 07

I had a quick look at the link supplied by Greengage and I looks like some programing code to me. The example of the code:

<script type="text/javascript">
//Switch elements visible or hidden
function A() {
a.style.visibility = 'visible';
b.style.visibility = 'hidden';

I don't know about programing but that looks just like code to me.

Lemur 20:07 10 Jan 07

Many thanks Greengage and audeal for your interest. Problem now solved by uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 which I have suspected was causing a problem ever since I installed it about 2 months ago.

Charlie Babbage 14:37 11 Jan 07

Ok, I know this has been resolved but fyi " ! DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC --------" is the start of standard HTML coding which displays web pages.

If you open a web page in IE v 6.0 and go to View > Source, you can usually view the HTML source code for the page although, for some reason, that is not working on my machine for this page! Perhaps PCA have disabled it??!

I'm not sure why this code should have appeared in an email unless, possibly, it was an email in HTML format.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…