lsass.exe shuting down my computer.

bda72 09:40 24 Aug 04

I am having problems with my laptop when going online. I have only just bought a modem card for it and have not had any problems before. I can only assume this problem only occurs when going online and I must of transfered this worm/virus from my main computer a while ago.
Shortly after going online I get a warning message about LSA Shell and if I click don't send I get another message about lsass.exe and the computer will shut down in 59 seconds. If I don't click the first warning then I get a bit longer online but not enough time to download anything or do and online scan.
So far I have tried running stinger and the Symantec sasser removal tool from safe mode with system restore turned off as Symantec stated but both tests come up clean.
I realise other people have had this problem before and have posted it here but I have tried some of the suggested fixes and nothing has found it so far and I cannot update from the microsoft site.

As this is my work computer I will be very greatfull of any help received.

Barry.

Urotsukidoji 09:53 24 Aug 04

its the sasser worm - or one of its variants.

when you see the message

click start>run type "shutdown /a" without the quotes click OK

this will stop the countdown.

then go to microsoft website and look for the sasser worm fixes.

then go to a shop and buy and AV package with firewall.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:05 24 Aug 04

I foyu are running XP turn off system restore and then turn it back on, as well.

G

bda72 08:22 25 Aug 04

That shutdown command is a handy one to know. I have finally managed to get windows to start updating but I think it will take me forever with dial up. I only dropped my guard with this machine because it had no internet connection yet as soon as I install a modem it's already riddle with worms.

Anti-virus, firewall, popup blocker, spam blocker and spyware blockers up and running and a heightened sence of paranoia has been reached.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…