lsass.exe an invalid handle was specified XP SP2

hugh-265156 14:34 06 Nov 04

hi folks. i swithched on my computer this morning and windows started to load then just before the logon screen i had the above error:

'lsass.exe an invalid handle was specified'

i clicked ok and the computer restarted and started up ok second time around, no error was displayed this time.

i had a quick google and found this click here for info on the process and when i checked on the microsoft KB for my error i got this click here

i downloaded the tool and it says no infection found. i am using XP home SP2 all up to date, i have avg free and its also up to date, running a full scan confirms no infection. all i have starting up with windows is zonealarm and avg free.

any ideas what the problem could have been folks? ta.

hugh-265156 23:57 06 Nov 04

just bumping this up folks sorry.

i have also checked event viewer and there are no errors listed under the 'system' or 'application' tabs apart from one failed log on attempt by me at this time logged under the 'security' tab. as i did indeed fail to log in because this error came up before the welcome screen appeared im thinking its quite normal to see this listed here.

i have checked msconfig/startup and double checked this list with third party software and all i have loading with windows is as above ZA and AVG. my services seem fine to me in administrative tools and nothing seems to be out of place here. i have restarted and shutdown a few times today and everything seems fine.

scratches head :-)

hugh-265156 00:20 07 Nov 04

sorry again for posting but i should also mention that i have checked the path for lsass.exe using 'search' and found three references to it.

one in 'C:\Windows\$NtServicePack\Uninstall$' 29/08/2002

another in 'C:\Windows\System32' 03/08/2004

and also in 'C:Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386' 03/08/2004

hugh-265156 13:46 07 Nov 04

^

hugh-265156 23:04 07 Nov 04

^

stalion 23:11 07 Nov 04

lsass.exe is a valid windows file.Issass.exe is not it is a virus that shuts your computer down.I am not sure what caused your problem but if your computer is running ok don't worry about it.
Regards

VoG II 23:13 07 Nov 04

I suspect that this is "one of those things".

If it doesn't keep happening, try to forget about it.

hugh-265156 23:22 07 Nov 04

yeah i know thanks folks. it only happened the once and was lsass.exe

maybe it was just tired as i kept it up late the night before :-)

ticked and if it happens again i will let you know. thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…