lsass.exe ????

Magik ®© 16:15 10 Sep 04

hi, the above, and i am certain the first letter is a "L" Is going it all the time, causing it to keep writing to the drive, so it spends all it's time clicking away, it is XP, i have looked it up, but can not understand what they are on about, they keep on about more memory.. can someone explain, in english, what the above is.

thanks

bretsky 16:54 10 Sep 04

click here and click here and click here

bretsky ;0)

igk 17:02 10 Sep 04

MAGIK,
This is one of the "Services" that most home pc's do not need (I have this disabled on all my pc's)to disable this: Control panel,performance&maintenence,admin tools,click the "services" icon,search down the list and look for "IPSEC SERVICES" then double click it and select "Disable" and also "Stop"(if its running)then apply/ok close that lot down and see how you get on.Hope this helps.

CurlyWhirly 17:23 10 Sep 04

I didn't know that this could be disabled as if you try to disable it in Windows Task Manager it says that it is a 'critical system process'!
CW

CurlyWhirly 17:24 10 Sep 04

I didn't know that this could be disabled as if you try to disable it in Windows Task Manager it says that it is a 'critical system process'!
CW

Stuartli 17:31 10 Sep 04

It could be a virus. See:

click here

There was a thread on this subject recently - it all depended on the spelling of the first section whether or not it was a virus.

CurlyWhirly 17:47 10 Sep 04

It definently begins with an L i.e. LSASS.EXE so I don't think it is a virus because it always runs when XP loads as it isn't disabled in the Services menu of Administrative Tools.

What I was wondering is whether it is SAFE to disable it as mentioned by igk in his post above.

Magik ®© 18:20 10 Sep 04

two of the links above did not work, but i found this, not sure what it means, but i have two PC's connected to a wireless network...

Lsass.exe
(Local Security Authority Subsystem)

Network Authentication: maintains a synced domain directory database between the PDC and BDC(s), handles authentication of respective accounts on the DCs, and authenticates domain accounts on networked machines

Automatic - when connected to a domain.

Manual for stand-alone machines.

not sure what it means, but someone might..

thanks

Magik ®© 18:23 10 Sep 04

if not i might close my eyes and do as IGK said above...

igk 20:06 10 Sep 04

As I said I have disabled this service in 3 of my pc's with no problems at all.

Magik ®© 20:13 10 Sep 04

as much as i have looked, no way can i find the performance and maintenance thingy, so i need to know where it is in XP

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…