LS-120 DISK and XP NTFS

david.h 22:46 30 Sep 04

few months ago changed over to NTFS all went well.
but went to format a couple of ls120 disks which would not format using my computer also tried at the command prompt.
MS Knowledgebase shows this disks are not compatible with NTFS anyone know a work around without converting back to FAT the drive will format 1.44 disks ok

JonnyTub 00:06 01 Oct 04

not sure on this but can't ntfs and fat32 (on seperate disks) co-exist?

david.h 10:37 01 Oct 04

i would have thoght so, searched the net lots of threads on the ls120 and xp with no solutions mentioned.
but it worked ok for me in xp till i went to NTFS only realised this was the problem when trawling through MS Knowlege base that showed the NTFS cause.
I am still open to offers of help

Baledor 10:42 01 Oct 04

running this from a command prompt?

format f: /fs:fat32

Assuming the drive letter of your drive is F

david.h 11:03 01 Oct 04

i tried at the command promt going via the command prompt window it showed media not recognised, is there a way to restart the pc at the command prompt like windows 98 did with dos so i can try that way

Baledor 11:06 01 Oct 04

Are you sure the disk isn't damaged?

david.h 11:31 01 Oct 04

i have tried several ls 120 disks all the same result

Baledor 11:39 01 Oct 04

LS-120 disk are treated like floppy disks by the OS, and as such they cannot be formatted using NTFS, but NTFS reads and supports FAT and is an option when selectign to format a floppy disk. I therefore can't understand why it won't let you.

I am assuming you are right clicking on the drive and selecting 'Format', you have selected the correct size and unchecked 'Fast Format'?

david.h 11:55 01 Oct 04

the floppy 1.44 disks do this ok, but the 120 disks have no options in the blank horizontal fields, just the buttons work the the base of the dialog box.
i click quick format and start but nothing happends

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…