LPT1 (W-95) to USB printer, is it possible?

Diemmess 09:46 13 Jan 04

Retired couple have a '95 bundle. Canon bubblejet expired.....Their son went for "a few months" to Oz and is still there. Just prior to departure they bought a new Canon S200X which has a USB connection. Son said he would sort it, but didn't!
Canon website has drivers only for '98 and upwards
As I see it, they have printer now time expired purchase, which they cannot use.

Eventually they will probably buy a new "bundle" but for the present is it even theoretically possible to connect the Parallel Port via an adaptor to the USB printer - bearing in mind that'95 didn't know about USB?

If they were magically upgraded to W98SE, would that make it possible?

MichelleC 10:52 13 Jan 04

I can't see why it shouldn't work with 98se (IMHO which has the best driver base and wizard of all os's - but many would disagree).

Jester2K 11:02 13 Jan 04

.........there are no drivers under Win95 for this printer "Canon website has drivers only for '98 and up-wards " so it might be a job getting ti to work...

woodchip 11:03 13 Jan 04

It appears to us LPT1 but it dose not show it as such in Device Manager as it uses USB port, if it does,,, you have not set the printer up right. USB cannot work on Win95 EVER unless you have the right Version of 95 i.e. 95c and the motherboard is setup for USB and you have the drivers if you have the later Win95 the Win USB drivers are on the CD but it's just hoping that it would work not much chance

Simsy 11:05 13 Jan 04

There are 2 issues here:

Can Win95 handle usb? Apparently the last version could.

Can you connect your usb printer to a parallel socket? I'm not sure about that one... I suspect not. (I did recently delve for some stuff on click here and there is some info there on doing clever stuff which may be of use)

Given that the second of these is likely to be the problem, upgrading to 98 is not likely to solve the problem.

I am assuming, from what you have said, that you don't have usb sockets on the PC?

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 11:08 13 Jan 04

that "click here" is wrong... it should be click here

Regards,

Simsy

DieSse 11:09 13 Jan 04

If they (you?) can sort out the OS issue, then a simple PCI card witha couple of USB ports will be dirt cheap, and allow the physical connection. Much easier than trying to get a (sometimes unsatisfactory) adapter.

Diemmess 11:36 13 Jan 04

Thanks to all for good ideas.

I often go all round the problem without seeing the obvious......... So my likely route is DieSse's the PCI card, and bog standard USB connector.

I only looked briefly yesterday at the sad little tower which has the proud lable "Windows 95" on its front, but I would bet money it is a standard "entry level" product of about 4 years ago with an AT case and mobo.

Simsy 12:26 13 Jan 04

I should have thought of the pci card solution! I've fitted a couple myself!

regards,

Simsy

woodchip 15:03 13 Jan 04

YOU need Win98 the most, then a PCI usb card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…