LPT1, LPT2 and other ports missing.

lahorie 08:21 11 Feb 04

Help

I am trying to install a printer to my local ports but only have LPR and not LPT1 or LPT2. I don't know what LPR means but having checked my friends pc's (4), they all have them. Can i install these somehow?

Toshiba tecra, win 2k pro, 256 ram.

Lahorie

ps sorry i posted in wrong forum yesterday.

recap 08:45 11 Feb 04

If you have `Create a Port` option in the Add Printer Wizard, I would try to create new Port for your printer.

recap 11:13 11 Feb 04

This via email:

Hi there is no option to create a port, all i have is LPR and no drop down box to choose or create other ports. Any other suggestions please? Lahorie

Please responde in here Lahorie as this will aid others in either resolving your problem or for their future referencing.

Try the Add New Hardware option in Control Panel, have your printer plugged in first though. You may be able to add an LPT1 port setting from here.

keith-236785 11:29 11 Feb 04

it appears that the LPT1 port has been disabled in the bios.

on booting up, look at the screen, it may say press DEL or F2 to enter setup.

press whichever you need to enter the bios, have a look around for printer port or lpt port & see if they are disabled, if so change to enabled (usually enter then cursor key to change OR older ones use page up/down). once set, save * exit. your computer should start and install the printer port, you should then be able to install your printer.

good luck

keith-236785 11:33 11 Feb 04

forgot to say, take care in the bios, altering some settings may cause your pc not to boot (you are ok with the printer port though)

key is, only change things if you need to (if it aint broke, don't fix it).

thought i had better throw in a warning.

lahorie 12:05 11 Feb 04

Thanks everyone.

I'll try and see what happens.

Lahorie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…