LP to CD-R, signal level adjustment

wotbus@ 21:07 10 Nov 04

I have s/w for transferring LP's to CD. I have dusted off my record player and tuner amp and connected it all to my PC. The LineOut from the Amp is "controlled" so is it just a question of trial and error to strike a happy medium between the volume/level controls of both Amp and PC Soundcard or is there an optimum setting as a start point and where do you set Base/Treble? Or is it just a case of adjusting the Amp to play how you like it then turn the speakers off [think about it!] and adjust the levels on the SoundCard - but this way you are not really recording whats on the LP, are you? The instruction book states "if you are connected from LineOut you can only adjust the level at the SoundCard end" but that obviously refers to an "uncontrolled" output. Help :-(

wotbus@ 21:34 10 Nov 04

Perhaps someone knows of some sort of pre-amp gizmo with fixed output which can be connected between record player and PC?. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Spanglish 21:46 10 Nov 04

Does the 'record player' not have a straight 'line out' ?( ie it has a pre amp installed between the cartridge and the output). As you may have problems trying to match the output of the Record deck to the input of the Pewter.
Brian

wotbus@ 21:58 10 Nov 04

Hi Spanglish. You are right about the problems matching O/P to I/P - hence the post. There could well be a pre-amp situated inside the record player [Pioneer PL-L1000 Tangenital Tracking Quartz-PLL] but I can't find its manual. Bit loathe to connect it direct to the PC without a bit of knowledge beforehand but if all levels are set to zero before do you think it would be safe enough?

Spanglish 22:05 10 Nov 04

Does the record deck have "volume controls"? and/or when you play the deck through a normal audio amp which input do you use?
Brian

Spanglish 22:08 10 Nov 04

Forgot to say that if you start at ZERO output and MIDDLE input you should be OK ( Ex recording engineer , so I do a little'bout it!)
Good Luck

wotbus@ 22:41 10 Nov 04

No controls on the deck; connects to amp via L/R Phono i/p, very ordinary. Cartridge is a Shure V15 Type 4! I have just been trawling the net searching "phono preamplifiers" but they all appear to be huge expensive bits of kit. Maplins have some for less than £1 but appear to be on a board for inclusion into a "home build kit". Time for bed here but thanks for your help.

Spanglish 14:33 13 Nov 04

Wotbus, it has occured to me ...Does your amp have a "line-out"? If so use that as the input to the pewter,(using the pre-amp in the amp)
Brian

wotbus@ 15:31 13 Nov 04

Yes - my amp has a line-out but see from the thread it is not fixed level but variable [from the controls on the front!]. This means I have two [2] variables [one on the amp and one on the PC] and my confusion is to know how to optimise them both for best level. Also, base and treble controls on amp front control the analogue line-out so to me I will be recording my personal audio preference rather than what's coming from the record deck pickup!
Grateful your trying to help.

wotbus@ 15:42 13 Nov 04

Great stuff. Just read exactly what I want on thread 170946 [followed the link click here . Thanks to all who tried to help/posted the links.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…