lowering the ping rate

Harpur 16:04 25 Apr 06

i run on a belkin modem/router connected via a cat5 cable. my internet connection is through tiscali at a rate of 2mb. my problem seems to be that the ping rate sits higher than a lot of COD 2 servers thus excluding me. what can i do about this.

Harpur 22:00 25 Apr 06

^

Rigga 08:36 26 Apr 06

Ping is not something that is easily controlled.

It is basically the amount of time in milliseconds that it takes a packet of information to travel between your computer and the remote server.

This can be effected by many factors, mostly the line length, i.e. the physical location of the server you are connected to. i.e. if you are trying to connect to servers in the US then you are unlikely to get good ping times. To UK servers, you should get reasonable ping times.

Unfortunately, the speed of you line once past a certain level will not make much difference to your ping times. So a 2mb line will have the same ping times as a 8mb or 24mb line.

I get pings of < 40ms to uk servers playing UT2K4, but > 150ms to servers on the US.

If you are getting consistently bad ping times to UK servers, then you may have a line quality problem (packet loss), and you will need to talk to Tiscali.

Sorry I can't be of any more assistance.

HTH.
R.

Harpur 19:29 26 Apr 06

what about the mtu for a router like mine. it is currently set at 1492 but i have read that on occassion it is better to set it to 1458. i am a novice in this area so any advice is welcome. i dont want to muck around with it as a little knowledge is more dangerous than no knowledge at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…