Low wireless signal on desktop, laptop gives 5 bars

GeoffVDC 07:41 AM 30 Sep 13

Hi all,

I have this really annoying problem. I use a TP LINK WN881ND wireless N network card and only get 2 bars of range anywhere in the house (even near router). At certain moments it even drops to 1 bar or completely disconnects. It is used on a desktop (pretty high end). My laptop however, on the exact same spot (turned in every direction to test) always gives 5 bars ANYWHERE in the house.

At first, I thought it was a hardware issue and RMA'd the card. I got a new one back and the same issue persists. The weird thing is, when I JUST installed it in my PC, the signal was good, but after mere minutes it started dropping again.

I use virtual machine software, I have heard that it may cause problems?

System specs: - i5 3570k OC - nVidia GeForce GTX670 - Sufficient quality power supply - AsRock Z77 Extreme4 MB - SSD and HDD

If I share my wireless from my laptop via ethernet port to my desktop (with cable), I get better ping, better speeds.

Thanks, Geoff

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…