low virtual memory

martan 22:45 11 Apr 08

hi all
after i have booted up i can work for a few hours then i get a message saying my virtual memory is to low and i stop me working on the web is there any way i can rectify this or will i have to upgrade my computer i am running windows xp pro with 256mb ram any help please
thanks
martan

rossgolf 22:47 11 Apr 08

get more ram
click here

martan 22:59 11 Apr 08

hi rossgolf
thanks for the link i see what i have got to do now and will have to check it out and upgrade thanks once again for the help
martan

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:51 11 Apr 08

Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

Diemmess 10:15 12 Apr 08

Virtual memory as explained by Fruit Bat /\0/\ is called into play automatically, once the RAM is filled.

But 256Mb is relatively tiny these days and very marginal for XP.

If you can buy suitable memory (check before buying) then any value up to 1Gb will bring an astonishing improvement in all sorts of proceedures.
Over 1Gb (if your motherboard will allow) there is not so much improvement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…