Low Virtual Memory

Madronwell 22:31 16 Aug 03

Every so often I have been receiving messages saying that Windows is running low on virtual memory and that it has to make adjustments to compensate. Any ideas why this happens? It tends to happen mainly when I am on line (I am on AOL Broadband) My pc is Pentium 4, 2.4ghz, 60gb hd and 256mb ram. I have checked the system requirements for broadband and everything seems to be ok. Any advice will be greatfully appreciated as I am quite a novice with computers!

bfc_tangerine 22:36 16 Aug 03

What operating system are you using?

Madronwell 22:38 16 Aug 03

Sorry, forgot to say that I have Windows XP.

bfc_tangerine 22:51 16 Aug 03

Try looking at which unnecessary programs are running from startup and running in the background. Not sure if it's the same way to access it as ME, but try PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/SYSTEM TOOLS/SYSTEM INFORMATION then click on TOOLS in the window, then SYSTEM CONFIGURATION UTILITY then select the STARTUP tab.
If this doesn't help a program called SYSTEM MECHANIC might help.
Hope this is useful.

Madronwell 23:04 16 Aug 03

I shall give that a go. Many thanks for your help

hugh-265156 23:38 16 Aug 03

try clicking control panel/system/advanced/performance settings/advanced/virtual memory/change

select custom size and make the initial and maximum sizes both double your installed memory so set both as 512MB then set and ok.

you may have to restart the computer after clicking ok.

Madronwell 23:48 16 Aug 03

Shall give that a go. Does it matter that the figure in the minimum box is 144 mb and the figure in the maximum size box is 288 mb?
I ask this because there is a larger box above with the hd info which states the paging file 144-288 mb. Sorry to being a dimwit!!

hugh-265156 23:56 16 Aug 03

it is probally set at the moment to window managed size.windows will increase or decrease the size as it wants.what the above does is set it to a fixed size all the time.slightly better performance.

experiment with different values.but usually its recommended set to around double or two and a half times your installed memory.

Madronwell 08:37 17 Aug 03

I have just done as above and things seem to be going quicker. Hopefully I won't receive the message again. I wonder why PC World could not tell me that when I asked them? Ho hum!
A big thank you for all your help guys! (y)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…