low sound output on dvd recorded programmes

InCog 18:22 18 Dec 04

When I make recordings on my stand-alone dvd recorder and play them back through my laptop, speakers and digital projector, the sound output is always very low. This is a big problem in a large classroom. Philips website suggests this solution (but I dont' understand it). Can anyone explain?:

'The only way to achieve a better sound level is to either use a surround sound amplifier and speakers or use a television with a digital surround sound input. NOTE: The sound level from a DVD is lower than the sound from television channels or other playback devices because the dynamic range (min.to max. level) of digital surround sound used on a DVD disc is much higher than normal stereo sound. This means that if the input level on an AV input with surround was as high as normal stereo and there is a scene with a high volume, the audio input of the television could not handle this'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…