low power with 500W psu

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 11:19 23 Jan 05

hi all,previously i had a 350W psu installed in my computer which the spec was AMD athlon 2200,256mb ram,1 hdd,floppy,CD-rom,cdRW.when i put a new hdd in as the other wasn't V big one (4gb).the blue lit fan dimmed down alot after the installation of the hdd,so i took the CD-drive out,but still no power difference.so i bought a new 500W psu,it worked fine,2Xhdd,2XCD drives,floppy,memory card ect.but the blue light is still dimm.how come?.thanks V much.ben

PA28 11:36 23 Jan 05

350w was adequate for your previous setup unless you were floodlighting your case! 500w is, of course, better and will allow you to expand without problems. If the computer is otherwise working OK then personally I wouldn't worry about the blue lighting - it's probably just that which may be playing up. Or have I misunderstood your problem?

Graham ® 11:43 23 Jan 05

Hi Ben. Is the light LED or cold cathode?

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 11:44 23 Jan 05

thanks for your reply,the blue light is on the fan by the side of the case.i was thinking of adding another disk drive and a new harddrive so i have 3 of each,i was wondering if my PSU was good enuf?.thanks V much.ben

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 11:45 23 Jan 05

LED graham.thanks

Graham ® 11:55 23 Jan 05

Is the fan/LED connected to the correct voltage output from the PSU? Could it have been inadvertantly mis-plugged during the new drive installation?

georgemac 12:00 23 Jan 05

the wattage rating is not always what it seems click here for more info about power supplies in a thread I started some time ago

also if you overclock this increases power consumption

Graham ® 12:00 23 Jan 05

If you can measure the voltage it should be 12 volts.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 12:01 23 Jan 05

hi,there are 4 'moular' plugs on the psu 3 are connected directly,1 is connected to the fan then plugs into a harddisk.thanks.ben

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 12:04 23 Jan 05

can i not see the voltage in the BIOS.thanks

Totally-braindead 12:38 23 Jan 05

If the PC is running perfectly well ie no crashes or lock ups then I would be inclined to think that the problem is with the fan rather than the power supply, perhaps its wearing out or something of the sort. Try replacing it if its not too expensive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…