"Low Noise" Enermax 450W psu is not quiet!

dave321 20:59 17 May 03

Enermax 450W power supply EG465P-VE(FMA)
There is a continuous significant humming / burring noise coming from this power supply unit. This is not due to the fans as it is a different type of sound and it stays the same volume when the outside fan is reduced to its lowest rpm. This is an annoying additional sound. Is this suppose to happen? My old 230W psu was much quieter with only fan noise (no additional humming noise).

My current system load is only about 250-300W. This would put a max 66% load on the 450W power supply. For this load the power supply specification quotes a noise level of aprox 29dB, but the sound appears significantly louder.

Do you think this psu is faulty or just a case of being higher wattage and so more background noise on top of the fan noise?

Thanks

Dave

skeletal 23:19 17 May 03

Very hard to say without hearing it. But something to check for is any lose screws/bolts etc around the PSU (or even inside, but don't invalidate your warranty if it says don't take appart etc!). Sometimes something lose can cause a right old racket (stray magnetic fields and all that).

Bit of a long shot, but....

Skeletal

Spencus 14:07 18 May 03

just been reading Psu reviews on Thomshardware site and Enermax were regarded as being quiet,Complain! or put up with the noise,the choice is yours

MartinT-B 15:08 18 May 03

My Enermax is as good as silent. The dvd is noisier.

Check for loose fittings. If there are none - send it back.

Qmar 16:22 18 May 03

-its probably the HD , not the Enermax(I installed one - no probs Use a stethascope with the PC open (with care) to find prob.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…