low milage laptop cd drive not recognised

naineysman 17:42 19 Jun 10

My friends daughters Dell Inspiron 6000 has hardly been used in 2 years and now we find the cd drive is not working. (It opens and closes and we hear something happening but not full spin up)It does not show a CD in my computer when one is in the tray.

The drive works fine in another machine, should I try adding new hardware wizard?

northumbria61 17:58 19 Jun 10

You could - also go to Device Manager - under DVD/CD drives click on details of your listed drive and then "Update Driver Software" and select " Search automatically for updated driver software". This may help.

woodchip 18:01 19 Jun 10

If this is a Desktop, you should only need to change the drive with power off. If its a IDE drive you need to set the jumper to same, i.e Master or Slave on one edge of drive

woodchip 18:03 19 Jun 10

PS drivers not needed Windows loads them, other than Writing Drivers like for a burning program i.e NERO

naineysman 18:05 19 Jun 10

The drive shows in devices as having an issue (yellow triangle) but when I ask it to update driver it says it can't. Also in troubleshooting it says the driver is corrupt.

Its a laptop (as in the title?) but thanks anyway, all suggestions welcome.

naineysman 18:10 19 Jun 10

Im actually trying to load Kaspersky IS 2010 which I have a CD for, is there a way to download it then activate it with our code, (the web site wants payment before download?)

rdave13 18:22 19 Jun 10

In device manager right click the drive and select uninstall. Reboot and Windows should reinstall the drivers.

naineysman 18:24 19 Jun 10

Ill try that but Ive now managed to install a trial version of Kaspersky and activated it with our code so that parts done (not sure why I couldn't before but heyho)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced