Low memory and other problems

Logov 20:05 01 Nov 05

My problem began a few days ago when trying to access Windows media player and I was given the message that it was unable to start due to low memory. I'm also periodically plagued with the wearning that the pc will shutdown in 1 minute and to say any work etc., I manage to stave off the shutdown with "shutdown -a" command. Of course alarm bells started ringing and I immediately ran a virus check along with stinger and cwshredder. After that I ran adaware and spybot search and destroy for good measure. Stinger and Cwshredder found nothing at all whilst the AV found nothing of any real note. Interestingly, other problems that occurred at about the same time are firstly, problems accessing Hotmail. I'm unable to reach "sign-in" as all I get is a blank page along with a "continue" tab at the bottom. Also, I seem to be unable to paste whatever I've copied as this option is greyed out. Strangely though straight after booting up or after a restart windows media player and "paste" both work but for only a very limited amount of time.

In addition, when on the vast majority of web pages some of the linking buttons don't work for me whilst others are fine. I don't know if all the problems are purely coincidental and are seperate from each other or if together they are symptomatic of something more important.

Running XP pro with 1gb of RAM and a 200gb hard drive with 80% free space.

Thanks in advance for any help with the above.

stalion 20:09 01 Nov 05

try a scan with a2 if this does not resolve the issue may be a good idea to post a hijack this log.The message save your files the pc will shut down in one minute is a message you get from a certain virus
click here

Logov 22:19 01 Nov 05

Thanks for responding - Forgot to mention installed A2 the day after this problem began - its getting rid of malware but the problems continue.

Perhaps there is something on my pc that totally saps the ram memory. If such a thing exists what can I do?

Splork 22:21 01 Nov 05

Have you ctrl-alt-del and looked in Task Manager at what is using all this memory?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…