low memory after installing 256 mb ram

aka51 17:17 13 Jan 05

i,m forever reading that extra ram is a great way to speed up pc performance etc.after installing 256 mb (from 128) i,m now getting "low memory" on a childs "paint" picture (via printer photo/editing software)and "low virtual memory" on a microsoft simulation.the pc seems fine otherwise...any help on whats happening much appreciated.am using xp.

spuds 18:39 13 Jan 05

What memory type-make have you installed. Have you a number of items running in the background eg firewall,antivirus,spyware,adaware etc. Have you recently installed other programmes or downloads,and what o/s are you using.All this info may help in pinpointing a problem.

Rayuk 18:47 13 Jan 05

256Mb of memory on XP soon gets used up if you right click on your taskbar then click on Task Manager see what memory you are using

aka51 19:41 13 Jan 05

hi..thanks for answering.memory is:256mb pc2100 ddr 184 pin 266mhz dimm.i have avg anti virus,spywareblaster,zonealarm installed on windows xp.i turn off zonealarm and avg when relaxing with microsoft train simulator but when "low virtual memory" flashed up a couple of alarm bells rang.same bells this afternoon when printer software came up "low memory" on my daughters paint drawing.

VoG II 19:45 13 Jan 05
  aka51 21:39 13 Jan 05

thanks for that link..will study that for the rest of the evening now.2 further questions.i went to the crucial web site and came away with the stated memory as above.local pc world gave me exactly what i asked for and i installed.my motherboard user guide (i,v just found) states "ddr sdram".i hope sdram and ddr is one and the same or i am waiting for an explosion.if everything ok can i put the 128mb stick back in the other slot to make 384 mb.thanks for helping.

spuds 00:01 14 Jan 05

Might pay to read and bookmark this website click here

aka51 17:27 14 Jan 05

links have been very helpful..many thanks.now for confession time.i had,nt removed installed 128mb memory as i,d thought.(it was late and i,d had a hard day).it looks to me that motherboard guide ddr sdram.....crucial ddr = possible memory conflict.i,v emailed crucial and await answer.pc seems fine with either 128 or 256 only fitted (no loud bangs) following vog,s link has speeded up pc no end.any similar links most welcome.regards to all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…