Low Density Memory

mrtreacle 21:08 11 Feb 07

Hi

Completely baffled as to whether some memory i have been looking at for upgrade is low density or not
Its called Kingston Value RAM and has a description of

1GB DDR PC2700 333MHz 128x64 DDR 184pin KVR333X64C25/1G

The spec sheet also mentions 16 modules 64 x8

Can anyone confirm this is low density and/or confirm they have used this memory OK please ?

My motherboard is Microstar 6701 made for Medion (MD5000)and is shown as compatible on the Kingston site
But i am told low density is best

Help thanks in advance Richard

Dragon_Heart 01:22 12 Feb 07

The density, high or low, of a memory module refers to the number of chips that are on that module. Different computers require the memory module to be built with a different number of chips. i.e. There is more than one way to build a 1 GB memory module.

All low density 1 GB modules are made with 16 chips (8 chips on each side) using 64Mx8 device whilst high density 1 GB modules are made with 16 chips (8 chips on each side) using 128Mx4 device.
Basically :-

Low density modules have 100% compatibility with ALL systems and ALL chip sets as they fully follow JEDEC ( Joint Electron Device Engineering Council ) guidelines.

High density modules only have 10% compatibility ( mainly designed for used in slower server chip sets ) and are very slow as they break all JEDEC guidelines and are usually about half the price when compared with low density modules.

Hope this helps

mrtreacle 18:42 13 Feb 07

Hi Dragon-Heart

Many thanks will check carefully when upgrading

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…