Low density 1gb RAM

drewett 19:01 22 Oct 07

Are their any 1gb RAM sticks that are low density?

Have been trying to find a 1gb low density stick but can't find any.

Have tried using crucial to suggest the correct RAM but it cant suggest any, and i'm unsure of my computer manufacturer and model.

GaT7 19:13 22 Oct 07

Most memory one can buy in the shops/online (including Crucial) is usually low density, unless explicitly mentioned in the specs. (Beware of eBay though in this regard, especially 'cheap' buy-it-now RAM.)

What is the motherboard make & model? Download & install Everest click here & SIW click here - one of them should be able to tell you. Let us know & we can suggest something suitable. G

drewett 19:17 22 Oct 07

Thats my motherboard.

click here

I currently have 2x256mb installed, and i'm looking for the cheapest way possible to get 1gb of RAM in total.

GaT7 19:29 22 Oct 07

Crucial says these will be compatible click here - £18.79 with free del for the 512Mb module being the cheapest way to get to 1Gb (with one slot left free).

2x256 modules off eBay would probably be the cheapest but you're unlikely to save more than £2-3 & you'll be taking a risk. All the memory I've purchased from eBay has been spot on so far though. G

GaT7 19:32 22 Oct 07

Crucial says the P4MAM-L has only 2 slots, while MSI says it has 4 - open the case & have a look to make doubly sure. G

drewett 19:33 22 Oct 07

Thanx for help.

I only have two slots so i need to 512mb sticks or one 1gb stick.

To be honest £38 is a lot to spend to get 1gb.

Have been looking on ebay but all i can find are high density sticks.

Am really looking to spend under £30.

GaT7 00:14 23 Oct 07

Apart from low density (LD), it basically needs to be 184-pin, non-ECC, unbuffered - & preferably no less than PC2700/PC3200 spec.

Many will be LD too - a search click here / Auction only click here, where there's less
likelihood of HD modules, but beware here too.

As an example, a list that look eminently LD to me: click here, click here, click here, click here, click here, click here, click here, click here, click here, click here

If in doubt whether high density (HD) or not (i.e. not mentioned in the ad), just provide me the brand & part number[s] (ask seller if not provided) & I'll help to determine whether they're HD or not. Stick to brands like Crucial, OCZ, Corsair, Kingston, Geil, Mushkin, Hynix, Elixir, Nanya. If you/we're unable to determine whether HD or not, simply do NOT buy. You may have to be very patient to get it for the price you want, & don't only bid for the best/platinum/premium/etc modules. G

drewett 11:29 23 Oct 07

Thanks very much crossbow, your help is much appreciated.

AENEON PC3200 512MB DDR 400 (AED660UD00-500C88M)
click here

Thats low density isn't it, that should be fine?

click here
Not sure about that one?

click here
Not sure on that one either?

click here?

click here?

Once again thanks for your help crossbow

GaT7 18:05 23 Oct 07

1. Aeneon is LD (32x8 from click here)

2. Gone, but may have been fine - only PC2100 though

3. A-data - should be LD, but double-sided (DS). Some older motherboards won't take DS &/or a DS & single-sided (SS) mix

4. Should be OK as well as it was tested & found working in a standard system

5. Gone, but would've been fine & probably the best of the lot being Corsair

G

drewett 18:29 23 Oct 07

Cheers crossbow have just bought the Aeneon one.

Sorry to keep bombarding you with these questions!

Whats your opinion on these?
click here

Thanks

GaT7 18:49 23 Oct 07

They're PC2100/266Mhz. If you combine it with the Aeneon PC3200/400MHz module, all the memory will only work at the former's speed - 266Mhz. Not that most people would notice the difference anyway.

'Sorry to keep bombarding you with these questions!' - that's what forums are for - so keep firing :-). Apologise for getting back to your 11:29 post so belatedly though. G

P.S. Here's the LD-HD memory article I wanted you to have a look at click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…