low connectivity no connectivity

saddler-1962 20:42 03 Jul 09

have just come up with a strange situation. My DELL desk top this afternoon lost internet connection. ever since i am getting no or low connectivity and no access to net. Ive even rigged up to run wireless but again no good. My laptop IS working wirelessly through same sky router so it isnt the service provider.
Any ideas why desktop isnt working

mgmcc 08:32 04 Jul 09

The "Limited or No Connectivity" indication means that the network adapter has failed to get its IP address from the router. Windows defaults to allocating an address in the 169.254.x.x range, which won't let you access the router or internet and gives "Limited or No Connectivity".

If you're connecting to the router by ethernet cable, try repairing the TCP/IP stack and Winsock.

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK).

To repair the TCP/IP stack, at the prompt, type...

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

...and press Enter

(note the spaces in the command line). The original prompt will reappear, exit the Command Prompt window and reboot the PC.

To reset Winsock entries, at the prompt, type...

netsh winsock reset catalog

...and press Enter

Exit the Command Prompt window and reboot the PC. (If running both repairs, reboot only after running the second command.)

Stuartli 10:34 04 Jul 09

I very occasionally get a sluggish connection with my (wired) modem router - disconnecting the mains adapter lead for a second or so and allowing the router to reinitialise normally cures it.

However, some weeks ago, when it happened this didn't work; it eventually transpired, after a range of checks, that the ADSL filter/splitter had developed a fault.

Replacing it immediately cured the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced