loud noise

jade25 13:42 08 Nov 09

I have a loud noise on PC or speakers after its been on a while and it comes on for short time every few minutes.. Its a noise that is hard to describe. Grand daughter says its a space sound, what ever that is.
Its odd as when playing music its fine just comes on after pc has been on a bit. Also can't tell if its pc or speakers. Just got new monitor as mine worn out and was hoping it would go but hasn't, it started 3 weeks ago. I turn speakers right down to get away from it.

Technotiger 14:11 08 Nov 09

Is it a beeping sound? If so, can you count the beeps and does the sound repeat itself or is it just now and then.

Technotiger 14:12 08 Nov 09

Do you still get the sound with speakers disconnected?

jade25 15:25 08 Nov 09

You could be right about the speakers but l cannot disconect them as there screwed in to back of computer. I am disabled so in a w/chair l can't manage so have run my son who useless with pcs but can unscrew them for me, have tried to wiggle them about so am sure there the big one thats screwed in.
The noise as my grandaughter said is like something on a space film on tv and it doesn't pip its just so hard to explain.
While l am here could you help with this, got a new monitor but smaller than old one which was 19inch new one is 18.5inch. My backgroud to my website looks small the background doesn't come to edges as its far of. Have had a play with sizes on the vista and got font right but not website. It seems its only me as others say its fine.
Jade
Hope theres no mistake at start as there is a advert over were you reply so couldn't check it.

I am Spartacus 15:39 08 Nov 09

Could it be from software installed like a pop up or ad blocker or similar?

jade25 15:43 08 Nov 09

Just managed to unpludg speakers but then thought wouldn't have noise with speakers of. My old moniter that just died had speakers on bottom in of moniter screen but they never worked right so year ago tried seperate speakers and got sound back.
This moniter hasn't no speakers in them.
Had a lot of work done on old speakers but seperate ones was the only answer.But l can't tell you if have noise or not.
Jade

Technotiger 17:23 08 Nov 09

Very difficult without actually hearing the noise - but, from what you say, I gather that the PC is getting-on-a-bit (like me), the sound could be a warning of over-heating. Perhaps the inside of the PC needs a good clean out, they do get very dusty with a build-up of dirt and fluff - this is a sure sign on over-heating, especially with fluff etc on all the little cooling fans inside a PC, and on the air-vents especially at the back of the PC.

Technotiger 17:33 08 Nov 09

If you go to Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, then click on the Sounds tab - you will see a list of Program events: (these are Sounds), highlight each one in turn and click on the little black arrow to the right of the list - this will let you hear each sound. See if you can find the one you hear!

jade25 17:49 08 Nov 09

PC is two years 2 months so not to old, have had it cleaned out with canned are. I think its more coming from speakers so will buy some from argos as if it doesn't cure it can always take them back.
Haven't put anything other than more memory on and downloaded service pack 1 as missed doing it.
Thanks,
Jill xx

jade25 22:42 08 Nov 09

Hi, did all the audio thing yesterday, in fact twice and nothing.
Going to get new speakers and if its not there l can take them back or change ones l have as only got them in may,
Jade

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now