Loud crackling noise coming from base unit.......

Proxy Worm 10:28 14 Feb 04

OS: XP, Whenever my hardrive busy light comes on a loud cracking noise comes from the base unit. I have checked my CPU usage history and the crackling happens when i am over 80%, this happend before and the problem was AMD chip was aulty or something a rather, i have PC world peace of mind insurance and before i phoned them i thought maybe one of you guys could help. Has any one got any idea of why this is happening or how to stop it.

Thanks in advance
Bally

Forum Editor 11:29 14 Feb 04

of a faulty hard drive, but you say it's happened before, and on that occasion it was a faulty CPU? Who diagnosed the fault on that occasion, and what was done to rectify it - I would assume that the CPU was replaced, is that so?

Proxy Worm 12:27 14 Feb 04

Thanks FE, erm.. this happend before on my old pc that was custom build by a private company- it was very faulty and the heatsink or something was replaced as it was not in properly but by that time i had bought this pc from PC WORLD, it's about 5 months old and now this is making a noise whenever its hardrive is busy( thats what i odserve when i seee the light on the base unit), so shall i phone up my PCWORLD insurance line to send a engineer? Might sound like a funny question but what shall i say to them, like eg. syptoms- like there is a noise coming from the unit....?

Diodorus Siculus 12:42 14 Feb 04

When you say a "crackling noise" do you mean the noise that the disk makes when data is being accessed?

It might be worth doing a defrag / scandisk to rule that out.

Also time to ensure that all your data is backed up. click here

Proxy Worm 12:45 14 Feb 04

I have done both defrag and disk cleanup with no sucess.

Kitz E Kat 12:45 14 Feb 04

Does sound like a *dodgy* HD, id phone and tell them exactly what you have said here...
If it is the HD it could go belly up any time , so the sooner you got on the case the better, me id use the computer as little as i could till i get it sorted..
And a back up is something you should be doin right now!!!!!!

Hope all goes well , good luck....

Proxy Worm 12:48 14 Feb 04

When you mean backup- you mean like all my documents and what i need?

Proxy Worm 13:43 14 Feb 04

I phoned them up and they have given me a reference number but cant do anything until its like craashing or the machines has severe symtoms.

Diodorus Siculus 13:54 14 Feb 04

click here - all your docs, and everything that you want.

Indigo 1 13:56 14 Feb 04

I would click here and look for their online hard disc health check.

There is also a small program you can download to inform you of the status and condition of your hard discs and will also predict how long it's life expectancy is, as soon as I locate it I will post it here for you.

Forum Editor 14:10 14 Feb 04

I would class a crackling noise which may result in the loss of all your data - to say nothing of your software installation - a 'severe symptom'.

If the noise has suddenly started it's not going to be normal hard drive access 'ticking', and I would immediately do as others have suggested and back up all your data to a CD.
Then contact PC World and tell them the hard drive is about to fail - it's ridiculous to expect you to carry on working with a potential disk failure hanging over your head.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…