Lots of IDE connections

explicitlyrics100 20:09 18 Feb 04

Im in the process of building a pc at the moment and Im looking for a motherboard (AMD) that is reasonably priced (under £60) that is able to support more than 4 IDE devices, unfortunately SATA is not on any of the devices so I need 3/4 onboard IDE ports. The reason for not getting an IDE controller card (which is very cheap £8) is that they do not support SMART data (thus its not possible to monitor the health of my drives), also very few work with cd drives. Anybody with any info for me please? Thanks very much

slimbo51 21:04 18 Feb 04

By the sound of it u need a raid Board.
Take up to 8 IDE devices.

Depends on what processor u intend to use, what fsb you want, what memory you want to use pc2100,2700 Ect, Once you decide what gear you are going to use, this will then decide what manf of board you need.

explicitlyrics100 21:07 18 Feb 04

needs to be 333mhz board, capable of barton xp2500 chip. Needs to have onboard lan and ideally sound. Other than that there are now requirements other than to be as cheap as possible,,,, Thanks

slimbo51 21:22 18 Feb 04

Think u may struggle to get a half decent raid board for £60.00.

You have to consider everything runs off your M/Board. A "Cheap" M/board can often cause u more problems than anything. If cost is the main issue I always think its wise to pay more for the board at the expense of other items. If the foundation of your system is solid from day one you will not regret it.

As for M/Boards themselves I only use Abit Myself, A bit dearer to buy in the begining but work solid as a rock and More importantly they will normally work with generic ram which is cheaper to buy.

To find out whats on offer in boards just type Motherboards/uk into a search engine (Google or whatever) I will comeback with loads of firms flogging them.

explicitlyrics100 21:26 18 Feb 04

yes but I have searched the whole webpage of ebuyer and dabs and have only found one board that has more than 2ide ports. The one that had more had 4 ide and 4 sata - 14drives! but was a tad expensive.... at almost 150

slimbo51 21:53 18 Feb 04

I have a look for u tommorow morning when the net trafic is less.

Dont close the post off.

explicitlyrics100 21:56 18 Feb 04

thank you

kangawallafox 22:40 18 Feb 04

why not just get a PCI IDE expansion card??

explicitlyrics100 22:52 18 Feb 04

see above, ide expansion cards do not allow you to monitor the smart health status of the hard drives. Thus I cannot get the warning of when my drives will fail which is very important as there are many TEC programs on the net that give you 1month warning before failure, and they DO work a treat - i know

gudgulf 23:11 18 Feb 04

Try trawling through the mobo section of click here

I'll eat my hat if you you cant find what you are looking for here----eg there is an Elite socket A board with raid for 42 quid (+p&p).

explicitlyrics100 23:12 18 Feb 04

and if i dont want to use the raid part of it i can just use it to connect more drives?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…