Lots of disk activity after booting XP

as400man 10:40 07 Mar 03

XP boots in a reasonable time but after I have reached the Windows screen and the tool bar has been built and it appears to be ready my hard disk runs continuously for around 90/120 seconds before it will respond to any command. At other times selecting the Start button causes constant disk activity for up to 3 minutes and even CTrl/Alt/Del does not respond until it has finished whatever it is doing. I do not run any scheduled taks or background jobs to my knowledge. I have Nortin Firewall and Virus checker but it was like this before I installed them. Any ideas?

MAJ 10:59 07 Mar 03

I wonder if it's indexing files readying itself for faster searches. To check, go to, Start > Search > For Files And Folders, click "Change Preferences", then "With Indexing Services (For faster local searches)". Then click "No, Do not enable Indexing Service". OK it to exit.

as400man 11:02 07 Mar 03

Thanks MAJ. I do not think so (I'm typing this at work) but I am fairly certain I have disabled indexing as it crops up as a good tweak in all the mags. I will cetainly check this tonight though. Thanks again.

powerless 11:08 07 Mar 03

What programs are set to load at start up?

If any!

Try disabling them, if any.

powerless 11:09 07 Mar 03

Oh it could be your firewall and scanner.

as400man 11:17 07 Mar 03

Thanks Powerless. I have never been quite sure how to check what loads at start up. I have looked in the Startup folder but it does not seem to make sense to me. I would appreciate a quick run down on how to confirm what is starting if you have the time.

I work with commercial computer systems (hence my nickname) but I am fairly new to PC stuff. If this was happening on an AS/400 I could look at job logs etc to see what was happening when I had the problem. Is there any XP equivalent to look at after the event?

JoeC 11:28 07 Mar 03

click here

for unnecessary services at startup for XP,

and here

click here

for general startups you can untick.

as400man 12:32 07 Mar 03

JoeC - thanks for the link to the startup site - it looks really good. It will be a tweaking week-end for me I think (after setting restore points first!). Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…