Lost/hidden files after restore

Marty1 12:49 PM 27 Apr 11

I had reason to run my Recovery CD and selected restore from that, to a point where I had a good system. Restore reported as satisfactorily carried out. I then ran backup to restore the data. It then appeared as though some files and folders were missing and I couldn't find evidence (through 'search') that the backup had restored to the original locations as requested. When I try to re-create folders on the desktop, I am told that folders in those names already exist. Also my 'Favorites' list is empty on my browser but when I try to add favorites I had before, I am told they already exist too. None of these can be seen - are they hidden somewhere or what do I have to do to to find them? I am running Vista Home on my Fujitsu Siemens Li1705 laptop.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:47 PM 27 Apr 11

To enable the viewing of hidden and protected system files in Windows Vista please follow these steps:

1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.

2. Click on the Start button. This is the small round button with the Windows flag in the lower left corner.

3. Click on the Control Panel menu option.

4. When the control panel opens you can either be in Classic View or Control Panel Home view:

If you are in the Classic View do the following:

a. Double-click on the Folder Options icon.
     b. Click on the View tab.
     c. Go to step 5.

If you are in the Control Panel Home view do the following:

a. Click on the Appearance and Personalization link.
    b. Click on Show Hidden Files or Folders.
     c. Go to step 5.
  5. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.

6. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.

7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.

8. Press the Apply button and then the OK button.

Marty1 20:21 PM 27 Apr 11

Thanks for that part; the missing icons have reappeared on the desktop but they are 'greyed' out - they seem to open ok though. I have still got hidden 'Favorites' in my browser that won't allow me to re-create favorites of the same name, telling me they are there already. Does anyone have any ideas on that? With further digging, it appears I may be infected with the 'Windows Restore' virus. Is there a way to remove this manually without buying software to remove it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:08 PM 27 Apr 11
  Marty1 08:51 AM 28 Apr 11

Thanks for the link but that site is still trying to sell me software to remove it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:42 AM 28 Apr 11

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic387938.htmlHave a read here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 review: Hands-on with the new generation of Surface

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Crowdfunding for world’s first 3D camera-computer found in 30 hours

2015 iMac release date rumours, specs, price & features: new 21in 4K Retina iMacs coming next week