lost word

JaneAtt 17:52 26 Mar 04

When I bought my computer it had word on it.

Following what I assume was a virus, I lost everything. I took it to a shop - the rescued me but I no longer have word. I now have to use microsoft works.

Is there a way to get word back?

spikeychris 18:04 26 Mar 04

Do you have a reload disk? if so Word will be on it.

JaneAtt 20:22 29 Mar 04

I am told.....
We can't do that because we took it back to a shop - the shop "reloaded" - not using our disk.

We had Windows 98 - we now have windows me - so we can't use the disk.

I think that is what he said!!

Is there any other way?

spikeychris 20:40 29 Mar 04

Nope, no chance at all. You will have to get Word from another source. There are other free word processing tools out there...

Valvegrid 20:50 29 Mar 04

This a very good free office suite:

click here

JaneAtt 13:09 04 Apr 04

Problem with using something other than word is that I can't email too and from work (which I know is sad!)

So.. what other sources? Does that mean buy it?

Djohn 13:38 04 Apr 04

Why did the shop remove your Win. 98 and replace with Win. ME?

Word is not part of either operating system though and comes as a separate application, either by itself or part of an Office suite.

Do you have the disk for 98 and office, or were they pre-loaded when you first bought your PC?

Belatucadrus 15:37 04 Apr 04

Most non microsoft word processors have the ability to save a document as a word file, so the e-mail shouldn't be a problem. Just remember to use File/save as instead of save.

Graham ® 15:48 04 Apr 04

I'm with you on this (in fact on everything) Djohn. Me is inferior to 98 anyway. Unless you agreed to have ME and lose Word, the shop may be liable to restore the PC to how it was.

Virus removal shouldn't involve a clean instal, they may have done it because it was the easiest way.

Look for any discs that came with the PC originally.

Belatucadrus 16:11 04 Apr 04

Another query is the legality of the copy of ME, did the repair shop provide you with a disk or licence number ?

Graham ® 16:13 04 Apr 04

Just had another thought on this - if the shop installed ME, they should have given you the installation disk and product key. Did they?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…