Lost wireless router network key

Clapton is God 10:58 24 Jul 08

My elder daughter has recently moved into a new house with student friends where they are using a wireless router to connect their PCs to the internet.

My daughter's laptop can 'see' the network but she is being asked for a network key/password to connect to the network/router.

Unfortunately the existing configuration was set up by a former housemate who is no longer contactable and didn't bother to give anybody details of the network key/password!

How can this be overcome to allow my daughter's laptop to join the network in the house?

I have no other details of router type or ISP, etc.

brundle 11:00 24 Jul 08

Run this one of the machines that can connect; click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:03 24 Jul 08

See if there is a "sticker" with the router name / keyword on the actual router. This will probably be the default name as long as it hasn't been changed then she should be able to connect.

The router can be rset to factory conditions to then be able to use the default name but all others in the group will have to reset the name / key on their laptops.

Clapton is God 14:56 24 Jul 08

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm visiting daughter tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.

oldbeefer2 15:00 24 Jul 08

nice one brundle - bookmarked

Clapton is God 15:20 24 Jul 08

Bloody typical isn't it?

My daughter's just phoned to say that her boyfriend's been round and quote "pressed a few buttons on the laptop, fiddled around with it a bit and I'm now connected to the internet; so you needn't bother to come tomorrow, Dad" unquote.

And there was me all ready to visit her armed with suggestions from this Forum, an idiot's guide from the Dell website and brundle's software.

Have you ever had that feeling of not being needed anymore?

Legolas 15:45 24 Jul 08

That's parenthood for you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…