Lost wireless on Lappy+possible virus?HELP!

buel 07:03 03 Mar 09

Hello, please can anyone help me? Last night whilst using my Medion laptop i suddenly lost wireless capability and my bottom 'bar' (cant think of the proper description) has turned grey instead of the usual blue, also the lettering on the 'start' button on the bottom left hand side of the screen seems to be a slightly bigger font and more 'basic' if you know what i mean? and for some reason im unable to do a system restore, when i try to it just stays on the same option after choosing what date to system restore to! also, im unable to switch my wireless configuration on manually! Please has anyone any idea of what the problem is? ps- i use xp!

User-1229748 07:35 03 Mar 09

did you try the system restore in safe mode?

buel 08:47 03 Mar 09

Hi there, thanks for that! No i haven't, please could you advise me how to get it into safe mode?

User-1229748 09:30 03 Mar 09

on most pc's you get into safe mode by tapping f8 at boot up

buel 19:16 03 Mar 09

Hi, thanks for that! Ok, i tried to boot the laptop up in safemode and it seemed to freeze once it had started and the screen was filled with similar to the following:
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys

The above actually was the last line on the page(at the bottom)

So then i booted up normally (and got what i described earlier: 'bottom 'bar' (cant think of the proper description) has turned grey instead of the usual blue, also the lettering on the 'start' button on the bottom left hand side of the screen seems to be a slightly bigger font and more 'basic' if you know what i mean') and i tried to get the laptop to perform a hard disk check of my C drive and it said 'Windows cannot perform this check' (or something similar) but i WAS able to perform the check on the 'RECOVER (D)' hard drive!
So what shall i do please? Any ideas?

woodchip 19:46 03 Mar 09

As its a Medion Computer Why not Do a Restore of the Drivers and Start-up files using Medion Restore Process. You do not need to do a full Factory Restore, there are three ways to do it. When you start up with the Restore disc in the Comp, choose first item on the screen that comes up

buel 20:09 03 Mar 09

Wow thanks, can i ask will doing this process alter any of the current programmes/data i currently have? And please can you tell me does this sound like a virus problem?

woodchip 20:29 03 Mar 09

No it should only load the above, You can also not go ahead with the Restore but I suggest you try starting with the CD in the drive,

This is what I get on both my Medions.

1/ Recover Boot Files Only
2/ Recover System and Driver Files
3/ Restore Factory Settings

I would try the second one

woodchip 20:36 03 Mar 09

Also try rebooting the Router, look for a inset button at the back for turning it off, then back on

buel 21:21 03 Mar 09

Ah but my other laptop works fine wirelessly!
I may try what you recommend!
Ps-putting Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys into google pulled up very similar problems...unfortunately i cant really understand what they mean...(Im not that computer literate!)

buel 10:54 04 Mar 09

hi there, just a quick post to say that iv done a bit of research and it would seem that the error codes i mentioned in earlier posts point towards a memory/ram problem so im going to take out both sticks of Ram that i put in last year to see if that helps, what does anyone think? if there was a ram problem would this stop be system restoring (as that is what is happening to me at the moment!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5