"Lost" wireless adapter

m800afc 11:56 17 Apr 09

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. M6VA 1.0
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

The wireless adapter on my laptop seems to have gone missing. I cannot connect wirelessly at all, although I can connect to the internet via the ethernet wired connection. It does not appear in the device manager, and there is no wireless option in my connections manager.
I do not know what type of wireless adaptor it is. I imagine that if it is a card it may have come loose, failing that I fear it may be dead. Is there a way of finding out if it is dead, loose or something even just a faulty on/off switch? My laptop is out of guarantee, and I am wary of opening it up, but will if I have to.

m800afc 14:05 17 Apr 09

Problem solved. Out of idle curiosity I tried the ASUS forum, and discovered the wireless driver had been updated. I installed the new driver, which in turn installed an Intel connection utility. I ran this and was offered a mind boggling array of security details. A phone call to my ISP solved the security muddle and I am now up and running.
I do not know why the wireless stopped working, but I am now up and running. I have just noticed that the wireless LED does not seem to work. I can live with that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…