lost windows settings

oldrusty 08:34 29 Jul 06

Hi all,

hopefully one of you can help with my problem. Last week after instslling a game, followed by a freeze and an attempted restart involving the button on the front of the PC, windows would no longer start, i tried many things to get it running to no avail, i then used my spare hard drive to install windows.

After this i found that my old drive was not accessable, found a great tool that got it working again so managed to pull my files off the drive.

The question is, does anyone know of a tool that will get the settings etc. from just a hard drive with a windows install? i tried settings transfer wizard, but this needs to be run on a working old computer. Thanks in advance for any and all help given :)

Taff™ 08:55 29 Jul 06

What settings do you want? If it`s just e-mails, favorites, address books etc we can point you in the right direction. Were you using Outlook or Outlook Express?

oldrusty 11:37 29 Jul 06

outlook express would be a great start!

Taff™ 13:47 29 Jul 06

OK On your old drive look under C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{0393EDD6-C0E1-4391-A102-6F59EBDAD655} OR SIMILAR \Microsoft\Outlook Express - Copy all the .dbx files except the one called Folders.dbx onto your other drive intoa folder called "Outlook Store". Rename them all by right clicking them putting "OLD" at the start. e.g. Old Inbox, old Sent Items etc.

Now open OE and go to File>Import>Mail Messages and select the bottom option "From store folder" Navigate to your folder and import them.

Post back if you get any problems.

Taff™ 14:22 29 Jul 06

Forgot to mention, you might find it useful to viewall files. In Windows Explorer or My Computer go to Tools>Folder Options and on the View Tab select "show hidden files" untick "Hide extensions of known file types" and untick "Hide protected system files"

Windows Address Book (.WAB)files reside in C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book. To import it open your current address book:

Start>All Programs>Accessories>Address Book and then go to File>Import. Navigte to the above folder on your original drive - don`t forget that it may now be D:\ instead of C drive.

Taff™ 14:25 29 Jul 06

Favorites? C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Favorites. Simply copy the files within the folder and paste them into the same folder on your C drive.

Anything else you need?

David4637 14:25 29 Jul 06

JUST USE ACRONIS- no more to say "Its the answer to the maidens prays" David

oldrusty 15:46 29 Jul 06

david,

cannot see on there website that it will work on a slaved exworking windows.

Taff,

thanks shall try that tomorrow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017