Lost Windows Explorer?

dublincity 19:13 15 Mar 05

I'm on Win XP Pro and have mislaid or lost Windows Explorer - its shortcut is no longer on the desktop and I can't find it in Start, My Computer, Control Panel, Computer Management etc. nor anywhere else on the Local Disk.

It doesn't come up when I press the Windows Key and then E.

Apart from minor niggles (such as the inability to change OE font styles), the PC seems to be in a reasonable state. Maybe I've got a problem with the CD-ROM - I'm not yet sure.

Any advice will be gratefully received. Many Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:20 15 Mar 05

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,c:
put this in the run box and press enter see if explorer starts.

dublincity 20:44 15 Mar 05

Thanks - I've just tried that but changed c to g (my main drive). It was positive in that it brought up the list of contents - but that was what I was finding anyway - with no Windows Explorer.

I'd be certain that it's missing except that from notes on the internet, the PC shouldn't work without it. I reckon mine is! Cheers.

p;3 23:13 15 Mar 05

can you still connect to the internet and get IE to display?

dublincity 23:59 15 Mar 05

Yes - no probs with IE except that the Text Size function (via Tools) won't work - I'm using the Zoom facility on the Ask Jeeves toolbar at 200% in order to see. Also, I can't re-size message boxes nor change the font style in OE. 'Run' has disappeared from the Start Menu but I can get it via the keyboard. Minor problems but symptoms of something gone wrong?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…