Lost Win XP Serial/Key

rmcqua 14:20 13 Oct 05

In a recent house move my Win XP Home CD got separated from its case and paperwork and I have lost its serial/key number. I now want to install it on a PC I have built for my son. Any ideas, please ?
Notes:
It is a full, original, Win XP CD, purchased in the USA when I used to live there.
It is not currently installed on any other machine.

Thanks,
Richard.

john-232317 14:28 13 Oct 05

I think you will have to contact M$ with the problem and hope it falls on helpful ears.

SANTOS7 14:36 13 Oct 05

Without any proof of authentication the ears may be none to helpfull, you may have to purchase another user licence for it
click here

rmcqua 14:46 13 Oct 05

Thanks Guys,
I will give MS a call. I'm quite prepared to send the CD back to them if they want to check its authenticity.

SANTOS7 14:49 13 Oct 05

That might not be a bad idea, hope it goes well for you....

Stuartli 15:03 13 Oct 05

Download Belarc Advisor - it lists them - or try freeware password utilities from:

click here

SANTOS7 15:07 13 Oct 05

Not sure how you would use that if you cannot install the disc in the first place because the licence key (he has not)!!

Stuartli 15:31 13 Oct 05

You're right - I should read right to the end of threads...:-((

I presumed it was already installed on one system.

But the advice could still be useful another time...:-)

SANTOS7 15:35 13 Oct 05

Yes, i have bookmarked the site it will come in handy, its a shame how the innocents may suffer i hope Microsoft will realise that there are some genuine people out there that have a bit of a "stonewall" problem and there is a satisfactory outcome..

rmcqua 09:10 14 Oct 05

Thanks for all your useful comments guys.

I spoke to Microsoft and they were understanding and helpful. Having satisfied themselves with the hologram part number off the disk, and taking all my personal details, they gave me a new serial no!
Good old Microsoft !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…