Lost WEP key

KNICK 23:04 19 Feb 08

Hi,
Trying to connect a new laptop to our system and can't find a record of our WEP key - not one that works. Can anyone help us reset or break it please? In basic language please!
thanks.

Ashrich 23:13 19 Feb 08

Make and model of router would be handy ....

Ashley

ambra4 07:41 20 Feb 08

To locate the correct the security key access the

router go into the wireless section

Copy the SSID & Security key that is enter in the

router to notepad and save to a flask drive.

On the laptop connect the flask drive, access the wireless network delete the present profile and make

a new profile using the correct SSID and the

Security Key that you save on the flash drive

KNICK 08:50 20 Feb 08

It's a LINKSYS WRT 54G.
Will also try ambra4's suggestion and let you know how I get on!

Ashrich 23:31 20 Feb 08

Personally I wouldn't bother making a new profile , it's a lot of bother , keep the SSID and just change the security key to either something you can easily remember , or use an online WPA generator and copy and paste the result in to notepad , then in to the router , save settings , try to connect wirelessly and when it asks for the key , copy and paste back to the application . It is only really worth making profiles if the SSID is set to not be broadcast , which in itself can cause connection problems . WPA generator ..click here

Ashley

Ashrich 23:33 20 Feb 08

For a random WEP generator ..click here

Ashley

KNICK 08:21 21 Feb 08

Thanks for added ideas - still waiting for the laptop so haven't tried yet. I may be back for more specific instructions Ashrich. thanks

gazzaho 16:13 21 Feb 08

I wouldn't use WEP as from what I've read it's the easiest security to break, use WPA2 instead it's much more secure. I would also advise against broadcasting your SSID as everyone and his mother will know you're there, there's no point in advertising, especially where security is concerned, or am I wrong?

Ashrich 21:46 21 Feb 08

Actually gazzaho , regarding broadcasting the SSID it is essential , Windows and other utility software for wireless adapters need to see the SSID to make connecting easier , and hiding it does nothing for security whatsoever and being able to see if there is a high power network in your area that may be swamping your own signal can be a big help in configuring your own kit . I agree that lower versions of WEP can be easy to break , but the paranoia that surrounds wireless security makes ordinary users think that on each street corner there is a " hacker " waiting to steal everything on your PC , which of course there isn't . Not everyones PC/Laptop is capable of running and decoding WPA encryption , anything below a P111 700 will struggle , especially if it doesn't have too much memory in it ( 128mb or less ) and even then they need to be using service pack 2 for XP to get the WPA benefit , so 256 bit WEP does have it's uses .

Ashley

gazzaho 22:57 21 Feb 08

You may be right Ashrich, but the way I look at it is this, if you're broadcasting then you're telling people you're there. There may be reasons for broadcasting the SSID, but if you don't have a problem when it is turned off then why enable it? The same goes for WEP over WPA or higher, why use a piece of rope to tie someone’s hands when you can use handcuffs, both do a similar job but I would only use the rope if handcuffs weren’t available.

As to the power of computers, come on, anything below a P111 700? Be serious now, the cheapest desktops or laptops now days are more powerful than that, are running Windows XP SP2 or Vista, and the standard amount of ram is 1GB or higher. I agree there may be some people out there still using antiquated hardware but, I suspect the majority have moved on, some set-ups may be limited to the basics, but on average even the cheapest of computers now days can run WPA or WPA2.

I hope you don’t take my reply as a personal attack, I just can’t see the point of using the least secure protection, and broadcasting your presence, if there’s no technical reason to do so.

Ashrich 21:58 22 Feb 08

Take a look on eBay to see what laptops are still being sold in large numbers , loads of lower specification P111's that will almost certainly want to be used on the internet , not everyone can afford £300 upwards to buy a new one . Even a reasonable spec Pentium M can have a bit of a problem with WPA if there is much distance involved , a scan may show 5 bars of signal , but try connecting to it and watch it drop to 1 or 2 bars when more than fifty feet away . No personal attack was felt from your previous post , I like an intelligent debate !

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced