Lost Video, Audio, Modem Drivers.

joethebow 21:36 21 Jul 04

A friend asked me to take a look at his PC. It appears he had done something to his HDD and the computer wouldn't boot. I tried my best to get it to start but all I got was, "Please insert system disc". Well, to cut a long story short I F-Disked the thing and installed Win 98 2nd Edition.

You've guessed it, it hasn't installed the video or audio drivers.

For video all it installs is VGA, even if I search. For Audio, something is installed but I get no sound.I havn't tried the Modem yet.

I tried installing a standard SVGA driver but it didn't work.

Without pulling the PC apart, is there any way I can ask the PC what hardware is installed?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:57 21 Jul 04

Have you got a motherboard driver disk that came with the PC?

Either of these will tell you MOBO graphics card memory etc.

PC inventory takers :-
Aida32 click here
Belarc advisor click here

hillybilly 22:17 21 Jul 04

You did not say whether it was onboard graphics or a pci or agp card. you need to establish that point first, if it is onboard then yes the mobo driver diskis what you need, on the other hand if it is a separate card then you will need to find out which chipset it using. The same goes for your sound and the modem.

joethebow 22:31 21 Jul 04

Fruit Bat, the first link you gave is broken but the second is exactly what I wanted. I ran it on my own PC and it told me everything there is to know about my software and hardware. I'll try it on my friends PC tomorrow evening and let you know what I find out.

Hilly Billy,

I was trying to do this without opening the box so I havn't a clue how the thing's configured.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced