Lost Use list help please

bof:) 15:39 21 Jan 07

Hi all, just had panicky phonecall from nephew (agaed 13), he has a Dell Desktop 1-2 years old which whilst he was booting up he randomly pressed some of the F-buttons.

Now he has lost the list of users that should appear when the pc is started up although all icons seem to appear on desktop. \9he only has admin user on screen)

His parents are out and he would like to get pc running properly before they are back.

In safe mode he has only Admin + guest user.

Many thanks, Mike

Technotiger 15:43 21 Jan 07

Hi, just a guess, but perhaps a System Restore might fix.

SANTOS7 15:43 21 Jan 07

try a system restore..

bof:) 15:47 21 Jan 07

good idea technotiger but I hope it wont come to that because I think both parents have recent work on the pc which I'm notnsure if they have backed up.

I was hoping that he had just turned somethink off that could be turned back on. It seems F9 is a full restore to factory settings so I've told him to press nothing else until I got advice.

Mike

Technotiger 16:10 21 Jan 07

Been trying to find an answer, no such luck I'm afraid. What happens if he does a normal re-start?

bof:) 16:15 21 Jan 07

if he does a normal restart, he gets just the 1 user showing which is administator.

All family users have dissapeared

I've been looking on the Dell uk site but cannot find anything on the F buttons that refers to turning off users. Unless its reset to factory settings.

But if this is so why are the normal icons still on the desktop?

VoG II 16:20 21 Jan 07

System Restore won't do anything to documents, e-mails and so on, only system files.

postie24 16:21 21 Jan 07

Try this,

Click Start, Run and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2, and click Ok. Select the user account from the list (the account to which you want to automatically logon). Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option, and click Ok. Type the user account password and complete the process.

For Windows XP Home, don't try to auto-login as the built-in Administrator, as you'll receive an error message.

Technotiger 16:29 21 Jan 07

Another thing to try ... go to Start then click on Log Off, then he should have the option to 'Switch User' .... or at least see what comes up there, see if the users are still listed.

bof:) 16:31 21 Jan 07

just checked with parents there is work on the pc they would like saved. I've suggeste they copy to usb pen/cd disk for now so they have got it.

in safe mode/uses 3 accounts showing admin/hp owner/guest only

On desktop in normal startup Nortons wants to set Nortons firewall. Not responding

just clicking startbutton freezes pc

VoG II 16:34 21 Jan 07

System Restore won't do anything to documents, e-mails and so on, only system files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…