Lost 'update control file' for AVG free

1933 10:45 23 Dec 08

Until last weekend the PC was OK but since then I seem to have been "hit". I could not update AVG due to a lost update control file. Tried removing the program and re-installing but no luck. Also my Firefox browser tends to redirect many of my searchs to some strange sites. One other thing is when I try to export my address book from Outlook Express as soon as I start to type in a file name (to save the file) the program closes down. Apart from a complete re-install any ideas? Am running XP with version 3.
Thanks

Technotiger 11:23 23 Dec 08

Looks as if you have been hit with a nasty - try running click here

palinka 14:11 23 Dec 08

After you've run the program suggested by technotiger delete AVG completely, then download a new copy; choose Save to (desktop - that's the most convenient place). Then install the program from the Saved desktop icon and immediately do an update. Thereafter set it to update every day.
When everything is OK again , switch off system restore and then switch it on again - just in case the nasty is lurking there (and could thus leap into life again if you did a sys restore in the future.)

1933 09:32 24 Dec 08

Many thanks for the advice, using a full copy of Superantispyware Pro and it found 109 threats, following scan reloaded AVG with no problems and Firefox is not now re-directed to 'wrong' sites, also I can save WAB from OE without it crashing. Thanks again guys, Happy Christmas to all. Dave

Technotiger 10:01 24 Dec 08

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

Happy Christmas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now