Lost System Restore

derbsguy 17:23 23 Sep 05

I'm running Windows Me and some months ago somehow managed to lose my System Restore function. No "restore points" are being created, even if I try to create one myself. If I try to open System Restore I get a message telling me that I first need to reboot my pc, but rebooting doesn't make any difference. I read somewhere that the problem could be something to do with (I think) a file called winninit.ini and could be linked to Ad-aware which I do have installed. I've looked for this file but when it appears after a search, it always shows as having been created and modified at that precise moment! This may be a red herring I guess, but I mention it in case it's a symptom of something. I don't desperately need SR at the moment, but would be reasuured to know it was there if I did need it.
Any suggestions? (Plain language please - as you'll have guessed I'm not expert!)

Hamish 17:41 23 Sep 05

Try typing Lost System Restore into Google and then take your pick of the fixes

GaT7 20:29 23 Sep 05

How to Enable & Disable System Restore in WinME: click here

Troubleshooting System Restore in WinME: click here

Some other info you may find useful -
Solving Problems in WinME - Part 1: click here & Part 2: click here.

If you need more help post back. G

Hamish, that's not very helpful, especially for an inexperienced user.

Susie blue 21:10 06 Oct 05

I have posted a garbled subject today, and like derbsguy would be reassured if system restore would play with me. mine ran, but then informed me that it 'was not successful' (not what any of us want to hear!)
How did you get on? (I'm Windows XP)

derbsguy 15:22 07 Oct 05

Hi folks. Thanks for the messages. Sadly, to answer Susie Blue's question, none of the suggestions have helped. I guess I'll just have to learn to live without System Restore and put right any problems manually. Thanks for trying folks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…