Lost start up entries

laurie53 14:42 21 Dec 07

I recently uninstalled my sound card (Creative) and now I keep getting messages that Windows is looking for non-existent files on start up.

I've tried CC Cleaner, and manual searches, but assume I will need to go into the registry.

Could somebody please give me an idea of where to look?

Clapton is God 14:56 21 Dec 07

Or try a more 'aggressive' reg cleaner such as click here

exodus 17:26 21 Dec 07

Hi, I suspect the problem may arise on the method used to uninstall. Creative often include an uninstall utility.
If you insert the Creative disc and commence the setup procedure, use the uninstall option when prompted.

(This may depend on the age of your card. Certainly an option on the more modern cards).

Failing that, then a good reg cleaner as already mentioned, should do the trick.

exo

laurie53 20:55 21 Dec 07

Thanks both.

The regcleaner got rid of one message but the others remain.

I did uninstall using Creative's own utility, but did as exodus suggested anyway, and tried restarting the set up procedure from the original disc.

Unfortunately, set up hangs with the message that no Soundblaster card can be found!

I am reluctant to take all the covers off again and reinstall the card just so that I can remove the software.

skidzy 20:59 21 Dec 07

Try running Winaso click here (regop version)

Free to try and will scan and repair any 10 errors at any one time,though you can rescan and repair unlimited.

Very good piece of kit and reliable.

exodus 14:58 22 Dec 07

Hi, if all the above fails, then set a system restore point.

Open Device Manager / Sound, video & game controllers. Uninstall any reference to your Creative sound card.

Open Windows File finder (Windows key + F key)and search for 'Creative' and delete any folders found that are relevant. If Windows prevents deletion, then try again from safe mode.

Open the registry editor (Start/Run type in regedit).
From the Registry Editor window, select Edit in the top menu bar. Select 'Find' from the pop up menu.
Search for 'Creative' by typing in the 'Find what' box. Delete any folders found in the left pane that are relevant. Then press F3 to repeat the process. Continue until all folder references are removed.

This should not cause any problems in the registry but you have the restore point to fall back to if things go pear shaped.

If the problem still persists, then you may need to install the card/software again and repeat the uninstall procedure.

exo

laurie53 16:35 25 Dec 07

Tried all the above without total success.

Finally solved it using WinPatrol to delete the start up entries.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…